1) We’ve been helping women for more than 55 years.
Founded in 1962, Stepping Stone is the oldest alcohol and drug recovery program for women in Northern California. More than 1,000 women have received life-saving treatment at Stepping Stone.
2) We provide recovery in an intimate group within a comfortable, safe and nurturing home.
Stepping Stone has a maximum of 14 women at any time. We are located in a recently remodeled and restored Queen Anne Victorian home in the Richmond District of San Francisco. A warm, well-appointed home welcomes each woman every day along with the companionship and support of residents and staff.
3) Our program is aimed at breaking the cycle of relapse by integrated treatment that addresses all the root issues that block wellness and recovery.
4) Our program is for women only.
Studies have shown that women who attend gender specific treatment have a lower relapse rate than those who attend coed programs. The women in our program tell us that their housemates were a tremendous asset in their learning to sustain their wellness and recovery.
5) Our location in San Francisco can’t be beat.
San Francisco is one of the best cities in American for commuting without a car and has a healthy employment market. In addition, the recovery community here is vibrant. There are more than 650 AA and 12 step meetings in San Francisco every week.
6) Stepping Stone women stay connected.
Once a Stepping Stone Sister in Sobriety, always a member of our family. We provide many means to ensure that residents stay connected to Stepping Stone after they graduate.
One of the most important lessons in early treatment for co-occurring disorders is accountability. Through the discipline of following house rules and working the program, residents learn how to take responsibility for themselves and to face the consequences of their behavior.
8) Our staff knows about recovery and have been there.
Most of our staff are in recovery or have been affected by the disease of addiction.